A Closer Look At Preventative Maintenance
Whether you are talking about getting regular oil changes in your car, keeping up with replacing your furnace filters, or making sure the equipment in your business is kept in top shape, preventative maintenance is a part of life.
Preventive maintenance refers to regular, routine maintenance to help keep equipment up and running, minimizing unplanned downtime and expensive costs from unanticipated equipment failures. It requires careful planning and scheduling, as well as accurate record-keeping of past service events.
Managing the preventative maintenance on multiple pieces of equipment can be complex. For this reason, many opt to have scheduled preventative maintenance visits built into their equipment contracts. But is that truly the best approach?
Every piece of equipment is unique – from the type of equipment, usage, age, its location (inside or outside), and even the weather (cold climate vs. warm). It stands to reason then, that applying a generic schedule of PMs is not the best route.
We prefer to analyze the data and customize a schedule of PMs that is more specific and takes into account variables, such as:
- The type of equipment
- Expected life span
- Age & where within the range of expected life span the equipment falls
- Older equipment may require more PMs
- Equipment reaching the end of useful life may dictate replacement rather than continual upkeep
- How often the equipment is used
- Location & weather implications
- For example, a drive up located in colder climates will not have PMs in winter months
- Business profile
- Will the staff be proactive in cleaning and performing basic maintenance tasks?
Determining the right preventative maintenance schedule for a variety of equipment based on data can result in minimizing disruptions due to equipment failure and save money by reducing the number of scheduled PM visits.
Clients under an Equips agreement receive guidance in planning their PM schedules and have access to service history to help inform their decision-making. If you would like to learn more, contact us.
Ready to talk?
Let's lower your equipment maintance costs